CHGRPSection: User Commands (1)
Updated: June 2012
Index Return to Main Contents
NAMEchgrp - change group ownership
SYNOPSISchgrp [OPTION]... GROUP FILE...
chgrp [OPTION]... --reference=RFILE FILE...
Change the group of each FILE to GROUP. With --reference, change the group of each FILE to that of RFILE.
- -c, --changes
- like verbose but report only when a change is made
- affect the referent of each symbolic link (this is the default), rather than the symbolic link itself
- -h, --no-dereference
- affect each symbolic link instead of any referenced file (useful only on systems that can change the ownership of a symlink)
- do not treat `/' specially (the default)
- fail to operate recursively on `/'
- -f, --silent, --quiet
- suppress most error messages
- use RFILE's group rather than specifying a GROUP value
- -R, --recursive
- operate on files and directories recursively
- -v, --verbose
- output a diagnostic for every file processed
The following options modify how a hierarchy is traversed when the -R option is also specified. If more than one is specified, only the final one takes effect.
- if a command line argument is a symbolic link to a directory, traverse it
- traverse every symbolic link to a directory encountered
- do not traverse any symbolic links (default)
- display this help and exit
- output version information and exit
- chgrp staff /u
- Change the group of /u to "staff".
- chgrp -hR staff /u
- Change the group of /u and subfiles to "staff".
AUTHORWritten by David MacKenzie and Jim Meyering.
REPORTING BUGSReport chgrp bugs to [email protected]
GNU coreutils home page: <http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/>
General help using GNU software: <http://www.gnu.org/gethelp/>
Report chgrp translation bugs to <http://translationproject.org/team/>
COPYRIGHTCopyright © 2010 Free Software Foundation, Inc. License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>.
This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it. There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.
SEE ALSOThe full documentation for chgrp is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and chgrp programs are properly installed at your site, the command
- info coreutils aqchgrp invocationaq
should give you access to the complete manual.
This document was created by man2html, using the manual pages.
Time: 05:29:02 GMT, December 24, 2015